Saturday, May 16, 2009

Endorsement from Joel E. Gingold, A Letter to The Gazette

I am supporting Lisa Cohen and Andrea Furey for the School board and I urge you to do the same.

My principal concern is that, while this year's budget has not wreaked too much havoc on the schools, next year, in the absence of many one-time contributions to income, we are likely to face a significant deficit. This could lead to the distasteful choice of either a massive tax increase or the dismissal of a substantial number of teachers and the elimination of numerous programs. Not only could this devestate the school system and/or the taxpayers, but it could also create a serious rift in the community between those who have children in the schools and those who do not. Not a happy situation.

At the beginning of the campaign, I did not know any of the candidates. So I sent each of them a few questions related to this issue, i.e., How, in these perilous economic times, do we maintain a quality educational program at a cost that the taxpayers can afford?

All five of the candidates came back with detailed, thoughtful and candid responses. I watched the video of their panel at the Journal News and I also had the opportunity to speak with almost all of them. I concluded that we have an outstanding group of women willing and able to take on what must be the most difficult public office in the community. I believe that all of them would represent the district well, but choices must be made.

Lisa Cohen gets it! She got it from the beginning and I think it is imperative to have someone with her outlook and understanding on the Board to ensure that the interests of both the students and the taxpayers are effectively represented and balanced.

For the second seat, I admit I am torn between Andrea Furey and Lisa McManus. I believe they both understand the situation well and will advocate doing what is necessary and appropriate to provide affordable, quality education for our students. As I can only vote for one of them, and for a variety of reasons too involved to discuss here, I will support Andrea Furey.

This may be the most crucial School Board election we have faced in many years. So I encourage all of you to find out as much as you can about all of the candidates and, most importantly, to get out and vote on May 19.

Sincerely, Joel E. Gingold

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Please vote for me on May 19th, 6:00 am to 9:00 pm at Croton-Harmon High School.